This is inconceivable! So that I, a person with higher education, fell for such a cheap trick. Now I am overwhelmed with ambivalence. On the one hand, there is righteous anger: “Well, how could I have gotten into such a thing ?!” On the other hand, admiration: I was “processed” so cleanly and masterly that if I were an outside observer, I would probably applaud standing up. But no, I was a victim in the very epicenter of events. I learned a valuable lesson from this situation. And now you will understand what I am talking about…
A friend of mine works at an alternative medicine center. Instead, I would say semi-traditional. In general, they use hypnosis, homeopathy, acupuncture techniques, and other methods that are not widely used in official health care institutions…
Are you still reading? May it be for you! Everything that is written above is nothing more than a prop. Here is the actual start of the article. And, by the way, today we are going to talk about the beginning. Ready? Then make yourself comfortable; today, we will look at real-life examples of starting an article to engage the reader in reading and not let go until the very end!
Beginning Of The Article: What Is Lead, And What It Is Eaten With
According to statistics, a person determines the usefulness of the material within the first 5-7 seconds. An essential role in this is played by the first paragraph, called “lead” (from the English. Lead). Its main task is to captivate the reader so that he cannot stop and “swallow” your text from beginning to end. If the lead is dull, the text tends to fail. And if for an informational article, it can mean a waste of the advertising budget with all the ensuing consequences for an advertising text.
A fundamental principle is associated with the concept of a lead – the focus of an inverted pyramid. The most interesting, most important information should be placed in the first paragraph. However, this is not dogma. There are many ways to make a lead engaging, and we will cover many of these ways today.
That being said, remember that starting a post is the second step. The first thing you need to do is generate interest with a headline.
Before Starting The Article
In a recent blog post, we looked at the algorithm for writing top-notch articles. In it, I emphasized that the main thing is that your material has a clear structure, and the beginning emphasizes its value, and not vice versa. However, some things kill this value entirely and should be avoided by all means. Here are some of them.
Battered cliches. Save yourself the imitation of thousands of authors with no imagination who have no idea how to start an article so that it piques the reader’s interest right off the bat.
Start In Style:
- Mobile technologies have made life much easier for a modern person.
- Today, new technologies are developing at lightning speed.
- Movement is life.
They have already become so beaten that they do not cause anything but a raid of boredom.
Banality. Another leader among common mistakes. The difference from the previous point is the all-encompassing evidence.
- There are no identical people in the world.
- Each of us cares about our health.
- Women are different from men.
Thank you, Cap! As a rule, such trivial phrases are often found in cheap satellite texts. Naturally, they are not suitable for serious publications.
Complex intricacies. Another common mistake is to make the first sentence super hard to read.
In light of total globalization, the question of the rationality of the everyday use of information resources, which, in turn, is increasing value for the international information community every day, becomes relevant.
All these things tire the reader and force him to stop reading (otherwise, he will die of boredom). They are also called water since they do not carry informational value as such. To test lead tenacity, ask friends and acquaintances for opinions. Finally, put yourself in the reader’s shoes. Would it be interesting for you to read such a beginning?
How To Start An Article: 11 Proven Approaches
Anyone can point out the shortcomings and how not to do it. Let’s look at a few ways to start an article that are more than 90% likely to interest your reader.
1. Golden Method – “Slippery Slide Of Sugerman”
This way of starting the article was invented by the famous American copywriter Joe Sugerman. This approach is called a “slippery slide.” It is versatile and suitable for creating both regular publications and sales texts.
Slippery Slide Principles:
- The first sentence is kept as short and unsaid as possible. It should generate intrigue and question, prompting the reader to read the second sentence in search of an answer.
- The second sentence heightens the intrigue by moving the reader to the third sentence, etc. You get the idea.
Selling is not easy, especially in niches where competitors spend thousands of dollars on promotion, advertising, and bribing customers. Nevertheless, if you do not follow the majority but turn on your brains, it is quite possible to become a leader. And here’s how.
See? After the first sentence, the question ripens: “But?”. After the second sentence, this question is reinforced: “Yes, but?”. After the third sentence, the question “How?” Ripens. After the fourth, the reader cannot be stopped.
I used a similar trick to start this article, adding a bit of emotion. After the first sentence, the question arose: “What is unthinkable?” This question was intensified by the inflamed intrigue, which intensified with each proposal.
In this place, there is a possibility that you are thinking, they say, “It was as clear as day, the beginning is banal and boring, accordion, I have already seen this!”
Excellent! So you have learned this method and can successfully apply it in your practice, so that is cool. 🙂
2. Facts Or Statistics
Nothing catches people at the beginning of an article like something interesting. Provide statistics or some interesting facts, and the person will read your text.
- In the United States, about 20 billion diapers are recycled annually.
- Scientists have found that people cannot dream when they snore.
- According to statistics, 1.5% of people on the planet have red hair.
The good thing about questions is that people answer them subconsciously, which involves them in reading. It is doubly good if the question is intriguing.
- Did you know that until the age of 4, Einstein could not speak and was considered a mentally disabled child?
- Do you want passive income for your life?
- How long does it take you to swim?
This technique can be used in conjunction with the Socratic method for strengthening.
4. Provocative Phrase
One of my favorite tricks. It consists of starting an article with a provocative phrase that evokes certain emotions (most often negative) in confident readers. However, remember that if you cause negativity, then you must then reduce it to zero.
- Beyonce fans are idiots.
- If you are not an alien, you will read the following sentence.
- It isn’t brilliant to work for someone else.
You May Also Like: 30 Ways To Make Money From Copywriting In 2021
5. History Of The Parable
People love stories. Firstly, because we all grew up on stories, we learn some lessons from each level. This is why most people are predisposed to levels and read them willingly.
Take a look at the second paragraph of this article. It is written just in the format of a story.
Not a very typical start for traditional articles. However, this technique is often used in sales copy. The essence of this technique is to use such phrases as “Imagine…”, “Imagine…”, “Remember…”, etc.
- Imagine that you are the captain of a spaceship.
- Imagine that you are in a jungle full of cannibals.
- Remember how you ran naked as a child.
Practice shows that another good way to start an article is to use a brilliant quote. Only if you use this technique, remember that:
- The reader should understand the meaning of this quote.
- The quote should be relevant to the article.
Another fantastic option to start posting is to do a little test. People love to experiment and learn something new or old about themselves, but known only to them.
- Check what psycho type you belong to.
- If you answer five simple questions, you will find out what is your greatest strength.
- Before you continue reading, take a short test to see if you make common mistakes in English.
9. Personal Experience
People love it when the author shares his observations or experiences (especially if this experience is personal). This way of starting an article is like a story, with the only difference being that the narration is in the first person and can be overly emotional.
- I want to tell you a story that happened to me two months ago.
- I was not the prettiest guy in school, but I had something that hung girls around my neck.
- Well, everyone, we have arrived! Get it, village, tractor! I again stepped on the same rake!
10. Focus On A Problem Or Solution
Everything is simple here. You immediately pose a problem that is relevant to the reader and promise its solution in the article.
- If you have tried everything, and dandruff appears and appears, then there is one sure way that will get rid of it once and for all.
- Even though website promotion is a rather laborious and expensive process, there is a way to reduce costs by up to 80%. And here’s how.
News has always aroused, aroused, and will continue to arouse burning interest and heated debate. So why not use this human weakness to kick off an article? The “yellow” news, so to speak, scandals, intrigues, investigations cause particular excitement.
- A pensioner from the hinterland took the top model out from under the nose of a millionaire.
- Found a way to make money lying on the couch and doing nothing!
- Exhibitionists staged an orgy on Red Square!
Resume At The Beginning Of The Article
The above techniques are more than enough to get you started effectively. Not all of them are universal: some methods can only be used when appropriate. Although, frankly, the first method is enough for a good start. You need to use curiosity and generate questions of interest to a person, which he expects to find in the article.
I am sure that your publications will be read in one breath!
What other ways do you know to start an article? Share your opinion in the comments.
Yours sincerely, Devansh Pathak.